If you have a kitchen that needs some life, building a kitchen island with Ikea cabinets is the perfect way to spruce it up. You’ll have the opportunity to create a functional and visually stunning design that will make your kitchen look stunning. Plus, a kitchen island will enhance the function of your kitchen. No more reaching for pots on top shelves or bending down to get spices from the bottom cabinet! Here’s how you can transform your kitchen into an island paradise.
How to Design a Kitchen Island
There are two ways to go about designing a kitchen island. You can either design the island from scratch or you can purchase pre-assembled cabinets and then add your own personal touches.
If you decided to build from scratch, you will need some creative skills. You’ll need to measure your space and make any necessary cuts for the island. Once it’s built, insert drawers and shelves where necessary, paint it a color that complements your kitchen, and attach handles.
The second way is much faster than the first option and involves buying pre-assembled cabinets. All you have to do is place them where you want in your kitchen, add a new sink or stove if needed, paint them to match your kitchen decor, and finally put in any additional features like drawers or shelves.
How to Build a Kitchen Island
1) Purchase the required parts: Ikea cabinets and accessories, such as an island top, worktop, drawer fronts, cutting board, sink and tap.
2) Take the measurements of your kitchen to make sure that the height of the island is proportional to your countertops.
3) Install the cabinet boxes on the floor according to your measurements.
4) Connect all units with screws or nails and use adhesive if necessary.
5) Place the island top on top of the cabinets and secure it in place with screws.
6) Fit all doors/drawers successfully. Do not forget to install a sink and tap in order to complete your kitchen island!
Installing the Cabinets
The first step is to install the cabinets. You’ll want to take your time here, as installing them in the wrong place will make the rest of this project difficult. Be sure that you measure and mark out the correct spaces for each cabinet before drilling holes.
After you have marked your space, drill holes for all of the base cabinets where they are going to go into the wall. Next, install all of the base cabinets by screwing them into place with a cordless drill and screws. If you don’t have a cordless drill, use a screwdriver instead; it will take significantly longer but it can be done!
Once all of your base cabinets are screwed onto their respective walls, attach your top cabinet to the wall with screws on each side and in the back where they meet up with your bottom cabinets.
Next, put up your island top and attach it to both sides using screws or brackets if necessary.
Now, use wood filler for any seams or gaps in between your cabinets so that everything looks neat – no one wants to see seams when they walk into their kitchen! This is a long process because you need to wait for each layer of wood filler to dry before applying another one. Finally, sand down any rough edges until everything looks smooth and even.
What is a Kitchen Island?
A kitchen island is a piece of furniture that serves as a central part of the kitchen. It provides additional storage, counter space, and dining space for your family. Kitchen islands come in all shapes and sizes, but they often have raised edges to protect food from getting on the floor.
What you’ll need to Make your Island
You’ll need the following to make your island:
- IKEA cabinets (preferably of the highest quality)
- Wood board or plywood cut to size
- Phillips head screws.
- Rawl plugs (or drywall anchors)
- Power drill with a Phillips head screwdriver attachment
- Wood screws.
- Safety goggles.
How to Assemble your Ikea Cabinets for an Island
First, assemble your Ikea cabinets. A kitchen island should be around 4 to 5 feet wide and 2 to 3 feet deep. You will need a total of 2 Malm side cabinets and 1 Malm top cabinet for each side of the island. Install the bottom cabinet first, then attach the second cabinet to it. Next, set the top cabinet on top of them.
If you want to make your kitchen island taller than the height of your countertops, install an extra set of lower cabinets that are longer than your typical upper cabinets (about 12 inches). Attach them to the wall and place them under the countertop with their front-facing outwards. The last step is to attach a backsplash above them for decoration or functionality.
What Size Cabinets Should you Get?
The first decision you will need to make is what size of cabinets you want. The smallest cabinet is the “Pax” which is designed for small countertop space, measuring 18 inches deep x 22 inches wide and 20 inches high. If you have more space and want to create a larger kitchen island, then the “Komplement” cabinet might be a better option.
Tips for Transporting and Assembling Ikea Cabinets
To start, you will need to purchase the following items from Ikea:
1) KALLAX unit (2 x 6 feet)
2) LINNMON sectional doors (3-door set)
3) LENNY construction frame with shelf (5 ft.)
4) MALM drawer unit with 8-drawer pack
5) RIBBA picture frame in white
6) GARDEKLÖVER door handle or any handle you prefer
7) GRUNDTAL corner bracket – large pack of 4
8 ) GRUNDTAL corner bracket – a small pack of 20
9 ) GRUNDTAL corner bracket – 3-pack of 40cm pack
10 ) GRUNDTAL studs 10 cm – 150 studs per box
11 ) VALVED door hinge for drawers and doors
The Benefits of a Kitchen Island
A kitchen island is a great way to transform your kitchen with very little work. It will also bring new life to your kitchen and make it more functional.
The benefits of upgrading your kitchen are endless:
- You can store pots and pans on the shelves below the counter, freeing up space in your cabinets.
- You can store spices and other ingredients within reach on your island.
- Having a designated space for food preparation will allow you to cook more efficiently.
- Your breakfast bar will now become a fully functional eating and working station!
- No more bending down or reaching for upper cabinets!
Kitchen islands are a great way to add extra counter space and storage to your kitchen. There are a few things to consider when picking out the perfect design for your island.